Long Island Green Homes
Home Energy Incentives Available to Homeowners at any Income Level
CDC administers the Long Island Green Homes and Buildings Consortium which includes the Towns of Babylon, Brookhaven, East Hampton, Huntington, Islip, North Hempstead, Smithtown and Southampton, the Sustainability Institute at Molloy College, Nassau and Suffolk Counties, NYSERDA, LIPA and National Grid. The Consortium is raising homeowner awareness of opportunities to save energy.
Homeowners on Long Island can inexpensively and effectively save on energy costs while making their home more comfortable. Home Performance with ENERGY STAR is a “whole-house” approach that assesses a home's energy use. By taking a whole-house approach, a Building Performance Institute (BPI) Accredited Home Performance Contractor can help address a host of problems, including: drafty rooms, high utility bills, inefficient old appliances, inconsistent temperatures throughout your home and poor ventilation and humidity control.
|Homeowner Benefits||Community Benefits|
|Reduced Energy Costs||Reduced Environmental Impact|
|Increased Comfort||Greater Energy Security|
|Increased Health and Safety||Creates Jobs|
|Increased Home Value||Keeps Money in the LI Economy|
Program BasicsStart with a comprehensive home assessment (audit) – free or reduced cost. Get started with the program that matches your energy use and provides the best rebates.
- High Central Air conditioning use – call LIPA at 1-877-ESTAR-LI
- All other homes – call NYSERDA at 1-877-NYSMART
- Approved energy saving measures pay for themselves through energy bill savings
- Audits and home improvements are performed by a BPI accredited Contractor from government and utility approved lists.
- BPI Contractor performs diagnostic testing and analysis and provides a report with recommendations for energy saving improvements along with costs and estimated savings.
- Homeowner selects energy efficiency measures.
- NYSERDA, LIPA and National Grid may provide incentives (rebates) from 10% to 60% of the cost of installation of energy efficient measures. Your contractor will coordinate and leverage these rebates to reduce your out of pocket costs. Low cost financing is available from NYSERDA for interest rates as low as 2.99% to 3.99%. This financing can be used to cover up to $25,000 of improvements. (with autopay). This financing can be used to cover up to $25,000 of improvements such as insulation, air sealing and upgrades to or replacement of heating and hot water systems.
- After the measures are installed, the contractor performs a final test to ensure the work meets BPI standards for energy efficiency improvements.